Saturday, 14 December 2013

Day 4 Munich - Dachau Memorial Site


Day 4 Munich -Dachau Memorial site


It was with some trepidation that we set off for a tour of the Dachau memorial site.  Dachau is on the outskirts of Munich and during Hitler's time was a "model concentration labour camp" where a large number of prisoners were used as  slave labour for the German war effort.  Although mass killings did not take place there, the starvation rations  ensured that the sick and weak died in their thousands. Today little remains of the original camp and most of the buildings are reconstructions to show the conditions endured by the inmates.

It was a very cold morning but as I stood there in the cold, I couldn't imagine how the prisoners survived with  few clothes, one blanket and no heating  in the barracks!
http://gogermany.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=gogermany&cdn=travel&tm=28&gps=399_9_876_392&f=10&tt=11&bt=2&bts=2&zu=http%3A//www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de/english.html


 Railway siding for arrivals - this used to be on the other side of the fence but was moved into the memorial site

 
Labour sets you free!

 
Looks bleak in winter - I cannot imagine how anyone survived this camp given the conditions



No comments:

Post a Comment